Beta Masters for Ages 11-15
Imagine a small indie game studio that has 5 days to pitch, design and build a new video game. Following a real-world production cycle, YHA Beta Masters work in teams to develop an innovative game prototype from conception to completion. Campers will use the Stencyl game engine to take their computational learning to the next level, creating original graphics and bringing them to life with Haxe coding. The program culminates with a beta release party in which friends and family act as investors.
Team Elektra for Girls Ages 10-14
The brilliant ones! A celebration of creative problem-solving and empowerment, YHA Team Elektra all-girls program explores how the combination of computer science and digital expression can make a difference in the local and global community. As a grassroots organization, Team Elektra members develop interactive stories using Scratch, and collaborate on inspirational videos and websites about meaningful issues. They learn how to use code to create a powerful message that communicates to the world who we are and the positive change that we seek. Following the lead of successful women shaping the future in tech, YHA Team Elektra unleashes confidence and life skills in a week full of creativity, design, color, and fun. Wait until you see what we create with code!
- Agent Kit (T-shirt, workbook, and diploma)
- 6:1 student-to-instructor ratio
What your child will learn at YHA:
- The core concepts of computer programming and video game design
- (Team Elektra) HTML and other web development
- How to build a technical journal
- Strategies for efficient collaboration, critical thinking and problem-solving
- Best practices for public speaking—ability to pitch and present work
- Exploration of important local and global issues